‘Dangerous’ sex offender must remain in jail

editorial image

A “DANGEROUS” Clitheroe pervert who was jailed for abusing a teenage girl and hoarding child porn will remain behind bars indefinitely after losing an appeal against his sentence today.

Glen Wayne Yates (39) was caught with some of the most shocking images of child abuse on his computer equipment when police raided his home in 2007. In September 2009 he was sentenced to imprisonment for public protection (IPP) at Preston Crown Court after admitting child porn offences and sexual activity with a child.

Still in prison, he appealed against the potentially lifelong sentence today, but had his challenge rejected by top judges Lord Justice Stanley Burnton, Mr Justice Stadlen and Judge Anthony Morris QC.

Lord Justice Burnton said the crown court judge had been entitled to find that Yates, formerly of Hayhurst Street, was a “dangerous” offender and a risk to children. He told how Yates had been caught out when police raided his home and carted off a large amount of computer and other electronic media equipment.

Some of the indecent images found on the equipment was of the most shocking kind, involving very serious child abuse by adult men. But it soon emerged that Yates’ sick offending had gone beyond looking at child pornography and had actually included two offences against a girl.

Sentencing him, the crown court judge agreed with the views of a probation officer, who concluded that Yates should be locked up until he could convince the Parole Board he has changed his ways.

Challenging that decision today, lawyers told the judges that it had not been until he reached the point that he could be assessed for release that Yates realised he could appeal. It was wrong for him to have an open-ended sentence, the judges were told, and he should now be given a term from which he could automatically be released.

But Lord Justice Stanley Burnton said there was no justification for extending the time normally allowed for offenders to put forward their appeals.

“The judge did have justification for making the finding of dangerousness that he did,” the appeal judge continued. “This is not a case which cries out for some rectification.”

The decision means Yates, who has already served his minimum term, will remain behind bars until the Parole Board is satisfied he is no longer dangerous.