Campaigner injured on ‘dangerous’ road

Ribble Valley councillor Ged Mirfin
Ribble Valley councillor Ged Mirfin
Share this article

A councillor remains in hospital having sustained potentially life-changing injuries after being in collision with a car on a “dangerous” road he has been campaigning to make safer.

Coun. Ged Mirfin, a Conservative member of Ribble Valley Borough Council, suffered a serious head injury, a broken right leg and fractures to his ankles in the accident on Whalley Road, Billington.

The collision occurred at 8-50 am on Friday morning as he walked his nine-year-old son, Harry, to school.

Emergency services including the North West Air Ambulance helicopter arrived and the father-of-three was flown to Royal Preston Hospital.

Harry, who attends St Leonard’s Primary School, Langho, was unhurt and it is believed the driver of the Renault Clio was treated at the scene for shock.

Earlier this year, Coun. Mirfin, who represents Billington and Old Langho, had lobbied Lancashire County Council to introduce traffic calming measures on Whalley Road.

Speaking from his hospital bed earlier this week, the 45-year-old hopes his voice will now be heard to make the road safer.

He said: “I don’t remember anything about the accident, but when I regained consciousness, I was told I had lost a lot of blood, had stitches to my head and have a broken right leg!

“Clearly, this is a busy, dangerous road used by parents, school pupils and senior citizens. Safety measures must be introduced to prevent another accident. The speed limit on Whalley Road definitely needs to be changed.”

He added: “I am hoping they will discharge me this week, although I do need a bit more practice using crutches. The injuries I suffered could be potentially life-changing, but I’ve had a lucky escape as it could have been a lot worse.”

Coun. Mirfin went on to express his gratitude to the doctors and nursing staff at Royal Preston Hospital.

“I am extremely grateful to the air ambulance crew and the medical staff at the hospital for everything they have done for me.

“I was admitted to hospital back in 2011 and was in a critical condition after suffering from pneumonia. Therefore, I am still very vulnerable to infections.”

He added: “I’m also thankful for the quick-thinking actions of staff at St Leonard’s Primary School who looked after Harry and took him to my mother-in-law’s house while I was being air-lifted.”