Benches are refurbished to mark centenary

Lions President Alan Clifford and other Lions members at the unveiling.
Lions President Alan Clifford and other Lions members at the unveiling.
Share this article

Six benches in Clitheroe Town Centre have been refurbished to mark the centenary of The International Association of Lions Clubs.

Founded in 1917 by American businessman Melvyn Jones, this special centenary of the international association has been celebrated and still is being celebrated by many Lions Clubs worldwide in various ways.

A close up of the plaque.

A close up of the plaque.

After some thought and discussion, Clitheroe Lions Club, which was formed in April 1983, decided that a fitting way to mark the special anniversary would be to refurbish six benches which are situated close to Clitheroe Library in the town centre.

They also endorsed the benches with commemorative plaques, to mark this special centenary.