Be careful with wood burners

editorial image
Share this article

firefighters from Padiham tackled three chimney fires in less than 48 hours as the big freeze set in.

Fire crews were called out to Sweet Occasions in Padiham after the owners reported smoke billowing from a wood burning stove around 7-30 p.m. on Friday. Another 999 call was made on Saturday morning from a farm in Trapp Lane, Simonstone, after embers in the flue above a stove caught fire.

Firefighters then attended a third incident, this time at a house in Whalley Road, Simonstone, after problems in a similar stove at 5-30 p.m. on Sunday.

Crew manager Darren Bowers, of Padiham Fire Station, said: “What is happening at the minute is we are seeing a few problems with wood burning stoves.

“With the cold weather people are using them more and more. But if the chimney does not go straight up then embers can settle on the plate further up and catch fire over a period of time.

“It is not too serious, but there was an incident in Sabden a couple of years ago when the flue went up into the loft and embers set light to insulation and caused a roof fire.”

He urged homeowners to ensure chimneys are professionally cleaned every 12 months.

“What we advise is for people in the summer months to get their chimney swept professionally when it is not in use.”