THIS week’s glimpse of the past comes courtesy of Catherine Turner, now living in Waddington but previously a lifelong resident of Clitheroe.
Taken in March 1940, with the war in its early stages, it shows Catherine’s uncle, Tom Guy, who died in the 1970s. The photo was taken at Croft Street, off Whalley Road, Clitheroe. According to Catherine, this was originally the Milk Marketing Board Depot, later Dairy Crest, Dairy Products Transport, Massey Tankers, Crossland Tankers, and is now Copperfield Close.
Uncle Tom is in the driving seat of his milk collection lorry, operated by L. Robinson, of Waddington. Since the door pillar bears the number three, presumably Robinson’s ran a few such flatbed lorries, collecting milk in aluminium churns, or “kitts”, from Ribble Valley’s outlying farms in the days before tanker collections.
Uncle Tom’s lorry seems to have no lights on it, perhaps because of the war, but it does have some strange contraption on the cab roof and behind the cab. Was this perhaps an alternative fuel system, with petrol rationed?
l If you have any interesting old photos (as little as 20 years old) e-mail them to firstname.lastname@example.org or send them to The Clitheroe Advertiser and Times, 3 King Street, Clitheroe, BB7 2EW. Remember to include details about what or who the photo shows.