Clitheroe Community Bonfire rises from ashes

Clitheroe Community Bonfire is saved. (s)
Clitheroe Community Bonfire is saved. (s)

Clitheroe Community Bonfire has been saved and will go ahead this year as an all-ticket event, organisers have revealed.

The bonfire, which had to be cancelled last year because of a loss in confidence between the bonfire committee and the Events Safety Advisory Group, will be staged on Clitheroe Castle field on Saturday November 2nd.

Bill Barker, the new chairman of Clitheroe Community Bonfire Committee, said: “At last, it’s back! With a lot of hard work from the bonfire committee representing the three local Rotary clubs, Clitheroe, Pendle View and Ribblesdale, plus local Lions and Round Tablers, we are working together for the benefit of all with the support of the fire and police authorities plus officers from the borough council. We are all proud to say that the town bonfire will be up and running again on Saturday November 2nd.”

He added: “The big difference this year is that it will have to be a ticket-only event due to health and safety regulations. I can assure you though, it will be just as good as all the past bonfires with hot food, drinks and novelties available to buy on the night.

“So please support your 2013 bonfire and buy your tickets early to avoid disappointment.”

The event will be limited to 5,000 people watching the bonfire on Clitheroe Castle field. It is estimated around 13,000 people attended the bonfire in 2011.

No tickets will be sold on the night and anyone who wants to attend the event must buy them beforehand. There will be adult, child and family tickets available.

Details about where and when people can buy tickets and how much they will cost will be revealed in The Clitheroe Advertiser soon, so watch this space!

Ribble Valley Borough Council chief executive Marshal Scott said: “We are delighted Clitheroe Bonfire looks like it is going to go ahead and will continue working with organisers to ensure it is a safe and successful event.”