Back in 1950, textile manufacturer James Dewhurst had a church organ transported from Bradford and installed at Shawbridge Mill, Clitheroe, for the entertainment of his workers.
A boss who loved music, Mr Dewhurst had a store room converted into a workers’ club room.
After Mr Dewhurst’s death in 1953, the organ fell out of use, and in 1965 his family donated it to St Matthew’s Church, Preston, where it remains complete with a plaque.
The mill itself was eventually demolished and replaced by the Lidl store.
Stan Unsworth, a member of the University of the Third Age (U3A) at Clitheroe, is researching the mill’s history and is eager to trace any old photos of the mill and hear any former workers’ memories to include in his local history talks.
He can be called on 01254 274977 or contacted via email to email@example.com