Luke feels the WBA World title challenger is ideal opponent for future contest!

Luke Blackledge has his arm raised by the referee after beating Phill Fury (left)during the light middleweight bout at EventCity, Manchester. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Saturday November 12, 2011. Photo credit should read: Dave Thompson/PA Wire
Luke Blackledge has his arm raised by the referee after beating Phill Fury (left)during the light middleweight bout at EventCity, Manchester. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Saturday November 12, 2011. Photo credit should read: Dave Thompson/PA Wire

Clitheroe’s Commonwealth super-middleweight champion Luke Blackledge has revealed that Frank Buglioni would be the ideal candidate for his next big fight.

The 24-year-old, ranked sixth in Britain, has been closely studying the Londoner’s stalemate with Lee Markham at Wembley Arena with a view to securing a contest with Frank Warren’s man in the future.

The defending WBO European supremo, who is trained by Irish boxing brothers Paschal and Steve Collins, will challenge unbeaten Russian Fedor Chudinov’s reign as WBA World champion in the English capital on July 24th.

And victory for the “Wise Guy” could pave the way for Blackledge, who has an appearance penned in to his schedule for September.

“I thought Lee deserved to win that fight last month,” said Blackledge. “If you were to take my last performance and put it against Frank’s last performance I’d win the fight. He was nothing special.

“I’d happily defend my belts against him, but if he wins his next fight then I’d definitely fight him. He’s a big super-middleweight and he can punch so there’s always a risk but I think I’d do the business.”

Firstly, though, Blackledge will make his 24th professional outing at the Olympia in Liverpool on July 25th, though an opponent has yet to be confirmed.

“Frank is a good fighter, ranked in the top 10 in Britain,” said Blackledge. “You’ve got to aim high. Look what George Groves achieved after winning the Commonwealth.

“He’s gone on to have two big world title fights with Carl Froch. You can even look at what Paul Smith has gone on to do despite losing that Commonwealth title to Groves.

“My time will come. I’m just biding my time for the right fight. It shows what can be achieved.”

Blackledge, who was offered a bout with Danish fighter Patrick Nielsen at short notice, forcing his team to reject the proposal, added: “He’s a southpaw and my trainer didn’t feel that there was enough time to prepare.

“I was well up for it but we’re not rushing things. It’s been some going to get to number six so I don’t want any slip ups. Just look at the names around me. There’s some big fighters and it’s good to see my name among them.

“I’ve had to do things the hard way so it’s a big achievement.”

Anybody wanting tickets for the show in Merseyside can contact Luke on 07731 542103.