Convincing victory for Clitheroe

editorial image

Clitheroe ran out convincing 23-7 winners against fourth place Vale of Lune at Littlemoor on Saturday.

The game opened brightly considering the wet and windy conditions, with the Maroon and Gold in the ascendancy.

Ralph Rigby broke blind from a ruck set up by the dominant forwards, and with Cowgill and Mick Thornber in quick support, the ball popped back on the Clitheroe side.

Smith popped the ball to the Watson at stand off, who timed the pass to perfection to Kino, who burst into the line at full back, breaking the Vale ranks.

He then chipped and gathered to score under the posts.

More pressure from the Maroon and Gold forwards, with Andrew Thornber and Jim Smith powering up the park, putting Vale on the back foot.

A penalty was awarded for a transgression and Kino stepped up to take the points.

From the restart, Clitheroe again stepped into Vale territory, the forwards winning the muscle battle, with Aaron Atkinson looking devastating in the charging loose play.

The ball spun down the line through four sets of hands until Chris Waddington smashed the ball up the centre of the park.

The secret of good rugby is to win quick ball, and with the pack in the ascendancy, this was not a problem.

Edmondson flew in to secure the ball and Bartle took the pass from Smith and showed his deceptive pace and sluiced in to make it 15-0.

Vale took the ball on from the re-start and mauled the ball into the Clitheroe 22, and broke blind to score towards the corner, but still took the conversion to claw back seven points.

As Clitheroe foraged forward, Vale’s only defence at times was to commit the penalty to slow the ball down and spoil the attack, and from one such occasion Clitheroe took the three points on offer.

After the restart, Thornber again took the catch and smashed his way up the field to set up the ruck, and again Waddington broke through with the ball in hand.

Held up, Vale managed to steal the ball in the ensuing breakdown and looked to attack from deep, which was snaffled out by some hard tackling from Ben Rigby on the wing and Smith at scrum half.

McEntyre nicked the ball in contact and set up the ruck, which the forwards drove on again before the hard-working Rigby managed to pop up blind and score to move the Maroon and Gold into a 23–7 lead at half-time.

After the turn round, the weather closed in a little and the pitch began to cut up, and that, combined with Vale upping their game, meant no further points were scored.

Thornber won the man of match award for his constant work rate and hard driving game up front.

On Saturday, Clitheroe travel to Leigh for a re-scheduled match.