Rimington’s semi-final spot kick agony

editorial image

Rimington represented the West Riding County against East Riding champions Beverley rom Hull in the semi-final of the Northern Counties Cup, only to lose to a disputed penalty in the second half.

With the possibility of a final against Lancashire champions, Eagley, the stakes were high, and the villagers looked very nervous early on.

The Humber Premier League side looked comfortable on the ball, playing with a strong wind at their backs and pushing the locals back into their own half for long spells.

On 15 minutes, a free kick just outside the box brought a good save from Kershaw, with the ball being cleared off the line to safety.

Beverley won several corners, using the wind to curl the ball into the danger area, but Rimington kept them at bay.

The villagers finally got some decent possession in the opposition half, and Hickling’s turn and cross was almost met by Jackson, and the former Clitheroe man had the best chance of the half when he was found by Blackburn.

He attempted to flick the ball over the keeper, who just got a touch on it, and in doing so slowed it down enough for a defender to hack it off the line.

At the other end, Fagan’s last-ditch tackle was perfectly timed, and both sides had one more chance before half-time.

Beverley had a free kick which only just sailed over, and then Blackburn combined with Hickling, whose cross was inches away from Walsh’s surging run into the box.

In the second half, Rimington were hoping to use the wind to their advantage, but the Hull side came out the blocks fastest, breaking away in the first minute, only to be thwarted by Kershaw.

But even he was powerless four minutes later, as a Beverley midfielder struck a post when it seemed he was certain to score.

On 67 minutes, a forward running into the box lost the ball to Hartley’s perfect tackle. However, the player went down under challenge from another player, and the referee decided there was sufficient contact to award a spot kick, which was struck straight down the middle.

Rimington went to three at the back, and they pushed on in search of the equaliser.

The last 10 minutes was more like the usual Rimington, but they found the visiting keeper in no mood to be beaten.