Enfield 3, Rimington 3

editorial image
Have your say

LEADERS Rimington let a 3-1 lead slip against Enfield, who were second going into the game.

On an excellent pitch, these sides served up a match worthy of their respective status.

The champions Rimington started well and won a corner in the third minute. O’Neill, on his return to the team, swung over an inviting ball to the far post where Lloyd headed back to Walsh, who calmly nodded home to open the scoring.

Dinsdale switched the play from right to left, finding O’Neill in space, and the winger picked out Lloyd with a delicious left-foot cross, from which the in-form forward buried a bullet header into the bottom corner, a goal of real class.

The home side were at sixes and sevens as the champions played some great attacking football, and Lloyd shrugged off a challenge only to see his 20-yard effort hit the bar with the keeper beaten. O’Neill then cut inside before slipping a pass through for Walsh to score, only for the goal to be ruled off-side.

Enfield found their composure and had efforts from distance before opening their account when a free kick was whipped to the back post, squared into the middle and bundled home from close range.

Rimington replied with another quality goal just before half-time when McLean found Lloyd with a delightful pass and his strike partner lobbed the keeper to make it 3-1 at the interval.

Enfield came out in determined fashion and made it 3-2 within a minute as the winger cut in from the left before firing an unstoppable right-foot thunderbolt into the bottom corner.

Rimington thought they had extended their lead when Kershaw’s long clearance was headed in by Lloyd but he was adjudged to have fouled the keeper, and they were denied another goal thanks to the linesman’s flag. The home side pressed forward in search of the equaliser and Kershaw did well to save with his foot to keep his side in front.

Dinsdale was upended in the area only for the referee to ignore the appeals, and then Hutchinson struck the bar. Enfield kept going and were rewarded with just five minutes remaining as the referee pointed to the spot following a tackle in the area and the kick was duly converted.

Terry Braithwaite was philosophical: “I thought we should have won but perhaps we had our slice of luck the previous week! We played much better and Enfield will take points off the other title challengers and could be in the mix themselves.We move on to another tough one game at Worsthorne on Saturday.”