Bakkor the hat-trick hero for improving Clitheroe

Sefton Gonzales in action for Clitheroe in their 3-2 win against Ossett Town on Saturday
Sefton Gonzales in action for Clitheroe in their 3-2 win against Ossett Town on Saturday
Have your say

Clitheroe’s upswing in form continued with a hard-fought victory over a useful Ossett Town side on Saturday.

In a classic game of two halves, Ossett had the lion’s share of chances in the first half, while the second half firmly belonged to the Blues.

Clitheroe got out of the blocks quickest when, after three minutes, a looping Warren Bellew cross was headed back across the goal by Sefton Gonzales, but it bounced harmlessly off the bar.

The home team’s first scare came on seven minutes, with Josh Ollerenshaw called upon to make a good save.

Ossett were having plenty of joy through their pacy strikers and, after 30 minutes, Scott Byrom was dispossessed, and Fernando Moke lifted the ball over the keeper into an empty goal.

More attacks followed and on 42 minutes, Ossett should have increased their lead when a volley hit the post and Ollerenshaw saved smartly from the rebound.

Boss Simon Garner rang the changes at half-time and took off Lloyd Dean and Andy Griffiths, put himself at left back, pushed Bellew forward and gave Jason Jones a pivotal role in the middle of the park.

It paid dividends almost immediately, when the referee awarded a penalty for handball against Ossett, and dismissed Shaun Connor in the process.

Bakkor thumped home the resultant spot kick.

On 60 minutes, another penalty was awarded again for handball. On this occasion there was no red card, but the Bakkor finish was equally unequivocal.

By now, the home team was turning up the heat, with Bellew putting in a series of great crosses.

On 63 minutes, substitute Wainwright almost made it three, when his shot on the turn was saved.

Three minutes later Bakkor secured his hat-trick when a bouncing clearance fell tantalisingly between the keeper and his retreating defender, and Bakkor nodded it between the pair to walk the ball home.

Shots continued to rain in on the Ossett defence and it looked like only a matter of time before the lead was increased. Even Jones got in the act, with a 25-yard piledriver skimming the bar.

Wainwright had the ball in the net after 87 minutes but it was ruled off-side, and in the last minute of injury time, Ossett scored from 25 yards through Luke Sharry.