Work has started to change Clitheroe’s Trinity Methodist Church from a building with restricted use to one that will not only be a joy for worship, but practical for other users.
The church has received £10,000 from the National Churches Trust Community Grant towards a £400,000 project to create more space, install new toilet facilities and improve disabled access.
Built in 1887, in 1963 Trinity Methodist Church became the new church for all Methodists in Clitheroe. Since then there has been little change to the church itself. However, thanks to funding, plans have been drawn to create modern spaces and facilities to work in partnership with other organisations with shared priorities.
Currently, the building is only open for services and other special events, but the project will enable the building to be used for a wide range of activities. Some of these projects, under plans drawn up by architect Ivan Wilson, include: More space for Clitheroe Food Bank; A creative/flexible space and recreational area and more room allowing people of all ages to get together.
New, efficient heating will be installed and old pews and redundant vestries removed – creating more space centrally and a welcoming entrance that can be used for other purposes. Access will also be improved for disabled users, as well as suitable toilet facilities.
Trinity is also working in conjunction with Ribble Valley Borough Council to develop a space to co-ordinate partnerships with agencies concerned with the wellbeing of older people, especially those with dementia.
Welcoming the changes, a spokesman for the church said: “The whole work could not have been done without the generous support of the church family and the people of Clitheroe who have raised well over half of the money needed to embark on this £400,000 project. Other organisations that have supported us include: Joseph Rank Foundation, Garfield and Weston Trust, Norwood and Newton Trust, the Duchy of Lancaster and the Methodist Church.”