A HEALTHY Clitheroe teenager died due to a “one in a million chance” complication after a routine operation, an inquest heard.
Daniel Robinson (14) died at the Royal Blackburn Hospital in May – two days after collapsing in Wellgate, Clitheroe, from stomach pains while on his way to see his GP.
Daniel, who attended Bowland High School, underwent a routine operation to remove his appendix aged 11 and experienced no problems until two days before he died. At the inquest at Blackburn Coroner’s Court it was revealed Daniel’s death was caused by a wound which did not heal correctly when he had his appendectomy. Scar tissue grew over his bowel making it twist and burst.
Now, Daniel’s mum, Joanne Johnson, is calling on the NHS to introduce new guidelines for better post-operative care after appendectomy procedures.
She said: “Never once did he have any scans or follow-up appointments at hospital to see if his wound had healed or whether he needed further medication. I strongly feel follow-up procedures in the form of appointments, X-rays and scans need to be introduced after routine operations like appendectomy, especially for young children.”
Joanne, who lives in Wellgate with her husband, Mark, and daughter, Natalie, said: “Daniel never complained of any aches or pains. He was a fun-loving, fit and healthy lad, but because of his stoical nature, we were not aware he was in so much pain.”
The inquest heard about Daniel began experiencing stomach pains on the evening of Saturday, May 21st, and was taken to hospital, but was sent home with laxatives. However, he continued to have pain and on Monday, May 23rd, Joanne arranged a doctor’s appointment for 5-30 p.m. As they were making their way there, Daniel vomited and collapsed.
Joanne thanked off-duty anaesthetist Mr Ian Stanley, who was in the vicinity and managed to stabilise Daniel. She also thanked the police officers who put their lives at risk resuscitating Daniel and the Critical Care Team at Royal Blackburn Hospital.
Coroner Michael Singleton recorded a verdict of death as a consequence of rare complication of an appropriate and necessary surgical procedure.
There’s more on this tragic story in tomorrow’s Clitheroe Advertiser & Times