Firefighters were called out this afternoon (Sunday) to an unattended garden fire.
At about 12.15pm, a fire appliance from Douglas was sent to investigate reports of smoke issuing from trees at a property on Abbeylands, Onchan.
The smoke was coming from an unattended garden fire that had been set within the tree line of the property.
The fire was quickly extinguished using a high pressure hose reel. The firefighters were there for about 20 minutes.
Leading Firefighter Sean Murphy who was the officer in charge of the appliance said: ‘The occupier attended the incident after the fire had been put out and suitable advice was given in relation to the safety aspects of leaving an unattended fire.’
He also said that anyone setting garden fires should be aware of how quickly fire can spread through trees and undergrowth, especially during dry months. They should always fully extinguish the fire before leaving.