FIVE fire engines rushed to a conveyor belt fire at Hanson, formerly Castle Cement, in Clitheroe on Friday evening.
Firefighters from Clitheroe and neighbouring stations attended the blaze at Hanson’s Ribblesdale Works off West Bradford Road at just after 9 p.m.
The fire, which involved a rubber conveyor belt and waste tyres, required specialist equipment including a ground monitor, three jets, a dry powder unit, two thermal imaging cameras and an ariel ladder platform.
There was severe damage to the rubber conveyor belt and surrounding machinery during the incident which Clitheroe firefighters dealt with until 1 a.m.
Clitheroe watch manager Dave McGrath explained that the plant is currently closed for maintenance work and that no one was hurt during the incident.
“Welding took place during the day and there’s a possibility it could have been smouldering rubber that caught fire during the welding activity,” Mr McGrath added.