Family escape Clitheroe house fire

editorial image
0
Have your say

A FAMILY in Clitheroe fled from a kitchen fire on Sunday evening which left their home severely damaged.

A mum and her two daughters along with a female friend of the family were taken to hospital by ambulance following the blaze at the Tower Hill property.

Clitheroe Fire Station watch manager Dave McGrath explained that the family had put their dishwasher on before going to bed, but alarm bells had subsequently rung when the electricity powering the younger members of the family’s lap tops cut out.

When their mum went down stairs to investigate she discovered the ground floor was filled with smoke and the dishwasher on fire.

Two fire engines from Clitheroe dealt with the blaze which was also attended by local police officers and paramedics.

All the occupants were treated for smoke inhalation at hospital.

Mr McGrath said the family had acted swiftly, phoning 999 and fleeing the house, which had working fire alarms fitted. He added it was likely the fire had been caused by a fault in the dishwasher.